CALL FOR EXHIBITION PROPOSALS
for solo and group exhibitions from artists and curators for 2018 – ‘Beyond The Body’
Bridget Kennedy runs Studio 20/17 Project Space, an artist initiative run with the support of North Sydney Council. As a result, Bridget is able to offer a subsidised exhibition opportunity for emerging and established contemporary jewellery and object artists. The space is available for artists to exhibit contemporary wearable and object art, including jewellery, textiles, ceramics, glass, installation, performative and participatory practices.
For the last 9 years, an aspect of Bridget Kennedy’s arts practice has been placed within the gallery, or public arena. ‘Gallery as Practice’ has provided an opportunity to observe participation and exchange between jewellery and objects, and the community. The experience of how people interact with the jewellery-object, the choices made and what happens when the object is placed on the body has increased a curiosity in exploring this relationship between public and private. By its nature, the jewellery-object is participatory. For even the most conceptual and unwearable jewellery-object, there is always an unseen, potential participant, the body. There is an interdependent relationship between maker, wearer, jewellery-object, and viewer. The 2018 program, ‘Beyond The Body’ series of exhibitions will explore the potential for the jewellery-object to navigate both the public and private sphere.
Please submit the following: –
- A current CV (in electronic WORD format – no PDFs or other formats please)
- An exhibition proposal (1 page only) and between 3-10 good quality images or drawings of
- Samples of existing work in a similar genre (if applicable).
- Your preferred dates and length for the exhibition
- Contact details of all participants (for group projects, one spokesperson must be allocated for all communications)
Whilst there is no exhibition hire fee, the gallery asks for a small artist contribution to assist towards the costs of the administration work for each exhibition. We offer curatorial assistance, design, administration, promotion and marketing, gallery sitting and space usage. We believe that contemporary jewellery and object artists need a platform to allow them to produce new work and want to share this with the wider community.
Successful applicants will be required to agree with and sign an exhibition agreement.
- The exhibition period is 4 weeks, this includes installation from Tuesday and de-installation on Saturday afternoon or as otherwise agreed. Artist contribution is $280.00 for the four weeks. This includes 4 weekends. Installation must occur on the Wednesday, or as agreed, between 11 am – 5 pm. The exhibitor must remove all works on Saturday at the end of the exhibition, after 2pm and before 3 pm. Closed Sundays, Mondays, Tuesday.
- Opening days and hours of the exhibition are Wed – Fri 11-5pm, Sat 10-2pm
- There is a cash bond of $200.00 to be paid on the day of installation.
- 27.5% incl GST commission taken on sales.
Responsibilities of Gallery
- A four week exhibition and staffing during gallery opening hours
- Curatorial assistance and the provision of basic installation tools. Please liaise with the gallery for more details
- Printing of exhibition floor sheets
- Design and preparation of invitations (email version) and mailing of email-invitations to the gallery mail out list
- Marketing and promotion on the gallery website, the North Sydney Council website and on social media.
- Installation requirements specific to the venue
- Staffing of the exhibition during gallery hours
The Exhibitor is responsible for the following exhibition costs and requirements:
- Professional installation and dismantling of exhibitions under guidance and approval of gallery staff. Installation plan must be provided to, and approved by, the gallery prior to installation
- Any specific or unusual installation requirements, equipment or materials (such as lighting, stands, brackets, display accessories or similar) as agreed in advance
- Ensuring that all above materials and requirements for installation are finalised and available prior to installation
- Insurance, packing and transport of work to and from the venue
- Insurance of work while on display in the exhibition. The gallery agrees to take utmost care in handling and exhibiting all artwork, but shall not be responsible for any loss of damage howsoever caused. It is the Exhibitors responsibility to insure artwork for loss or damage
- Collation of room sheet. The gallery will provide a room sheet template and all work details must be supplied to the gallery before installation of the exhibition
- provision of all details pertaining to the work to be exhibited, including title, date, medium, technique; a current curriculum vitae; retail value of the work, high resolution images of the work for promotional purposes
- Costs of marketing and promotion, including formatting and distribution of press releases
- Ensure all promotional material generated, including printed invites, are not released without prior approval of the gallery. The gallery will provide logos and other relevant required information
- Ensuring all work is clean and mark free
- Organising an opening, if they desire, at a time mutually agreed upon with the gallery. A representative of the gallery will co-host the opening with the exhibitor.
- Provision of bar refreshments and bar staff at opening.
- Provision of some type of food item when serving alcoholic drinks
- Set up and clean up after exhibition opening.
- Exhibition signage/vinyl (optional).
- Advertising in Art Almanac (optional).
- Organising a free community event. We require each exhibition to organise an artist talk or event of some type. The type of event can be determined in consultation with the gallery.
- The gallery needs to be returned to a clean state. All hooks, bolts alterations removed, patched to gallery standard and painted using gallery paint. This needs to be completed by the exhibitor. If for any reason, the exhibitor cannot do this, the gallery will organise this to be done at a charge to the exhibitor of $80/hr and bond will be forfeited.
North Sydney Council are gratefully acknowledged for the provision of 53 Ridge Street, North Sydney.